Monday, January 23, 2012

Time is Flying by!

I realized today that I am starting my fourth week abroad. In some ways it feels like I've been here so much longer, and in others it feels like it just began. After spending nearly a month abroad, I have begun to find things that I miss, outside of the people in my life:
  1. Showers that you can actually move in. 
  2. Peanut butter sandwiches and being able to bake cookies.
  3. People not running you down while you're walking.
  4. Organization and Clarity!!!!
  5. Being able to understand what is on a menu. Fromage (cheese) and Jambon (ham) have quickly become a good friend of mine.
  6. Fast(er) internet, and access to all sites. Thanks for ditching me, Netflix, Hulu and ABC.
  7. Milk-- I am terrified to try it here. The pasteurized milk is unrefrigerated until it is opened, and the milk straight from the cow is in the refrigerated section.
  8. My DVDs and TV shows :(
  9. Driving (but only a little, and I would NEVER want to drive here)
  10. Cheap shopping with decent quality.
Even with all of that, though, I have found many things that I love about being here:

  1. It's always gorgeous here. Period. 
  2. Crepes, Baguettes and other goodies. And the fact that baguettes suffice as breakfast (or any other meal for that matter-- just add cheese, butter, or jam!)
  3. The Tram system-- so simple to get around town!
  4. Walking-- who would have thought?
  5. Speaking French and hearing it all the time.
  6. Not needing a cell phone 24/7.
  7. The pace of life-- much slower and calm
  8. French movie theaters-- cheap and super comfortable.
  9. Lots of student discounts!
  10. The downtown-- so nice!
There are really so many things I love about being here, but it has all definitely taken some getting used to. Now that I have, life feels more normal here as I enter my fourth week. It hit me hard the other day that I have nearly finished my first month here. That means I only have about 4 months left-- 5 if I stay a little into June. It really is just a bizarre feeling, I don't know how it's gone by so fast already. Part of that has definitely been because I have kept myself busy, maybe too much so, but I have enjoyed being out all day.

On a whim this last Thursday, Elodie decided that we should go on a trip to a nearby city since the trains are not expensive. We decided on Beziers-- we both had never been there and did not know much about it, aside from Google pictures. After we got  off the train, we wandered aimlessly for a little bit, trying to find anything interesting and/or tourist-y. We saw a church in the middle of the city, but nothing amazing. We saw lots of shops, little restaurants, and small streets. We saw another carousel, theater and park. A little disappointed by the city, we then went on a mission to at least find a postcard. When we did, the cards had these amazing pictures of this cliffside with a church overlooking a valley. We immediately asked the man behind the counter where we could find this. Apparently, after getting off the train, we went in the totally wrong direction of some of the tourist sites, including this spectacular view. So we made our way back, and this is what we saw.



The back of the Church


Elodie being a tourist for the day!
Me, standing in front of this incredible view just outside the church
The view from the front of the church, looking down
Another amazing view from the Church.


After all the touring, it was time for food. We found the French version of Johnny Rockets, which is just as stereotypical as you would imagine it to be-- my burger came with an American flag sticking out the top. Oddly enough, it made me feel like I had found a bit of home.

After, we wandered back towards the train station, only to come across a really incredible park with tons of trees, statues, fountains, and even a little waterfall. On our way out, we came across a fenced off area with ducks and swans hanging out. This is where we found the world's angriest swan. It eyed us down from the moment we came around the corner, and it snapped at all the other birds who dared to come near him. I was convinced that he would just lose it after a toddler came up reaching for it-- but miraculously he kept his cool. We then walked to the train station and headed home finally feeling happy that we had seen some really interesting parts of the city.

So far I have been somewhere every week-- and I definitely hope to keep the trend going! I have two weeks off in the middle of February, as well as two more weeks off in the middle of April. Loving this lifestyle!

     Even more things I have learned while in France:

    A "500 Days of Summer Moment" at IKEA
    • There is an unofficial "American Food" section in the grocery store I go to. Milano cookies, Skippy Peanut Butter, and Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix can be found here-- if you're willing to pay 4-6 Euros. 
    • My University internet connection blocks random websites. For instance, Perez Hilton. How am I supposed to keep up with the celeb gossip?!
    • During sale months, it's every man for himself. People are normally so polite here, but not during their shopping trips.
    • Ask questions. Ask questions. Ask questions.
    • I have one 2-3 hour class a day, and Fridays off-- I love this system! It can be a little too much at times, but at the same time, it makes traveling a bit easier to figure out. It's definitely going to be hard to go back to the U.S. system.
    • IKEA is amazing. I know, I know, we have them in the States, but they just seem so much better here. 
    • An American Consulate representative told us "If you get put in jail, hope to be caught in Monaco! They have a great view, and personal trainers at the gym." Good to know.
    • There seem to be a lot of young homeless people (aka SDFs) in downtown Montpellier. They all have dogs and hang out in big groups by the train station. People seem to think that they prefer the nomadic lifestyle, even though they could possibly afford a better lifestyle.
    • This may be a bit broad of a generalization, but it seems  that when it is clear we are not French, especially in situations at stores or at help desks, women tend to be very unhelpful whereas the men are generally more friendly. Yes, it's probably because we're women, but their help is appreciated nonetheless. 
    • It is possible to become addicted to Baguettes. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment