Saturday, January 7, 2012

Ma Première Semaine (My First Week)

Wow. That is the only way I can think of to effectively summarize this first week, just wow. Where do I begin? I can say I officially understand what people mean when they say there will be tons of highs, and tons of lows-- I've already experienced many of both. I'll begin with the not so good, and end on a high note, because in this moment I am absolutely content even though I am stressed.

As I said, there have been a number of low points to this week. The lowest point was definitely my first night here-- I couldn't sleep until 7am and had to be up at 11am, and I only had my American cellphone and 40% of battery on my barely functioning computer. In all, it was a lonely night, but as soon as I was able to get some sleep I felt much better. Another difficulty this week had to do with getting my rarely functioning DELL computer fixed. I have had this computer for about 2 months, and both months have resulted in needing repairs for the same problem: it keeps overheating and turning off. My dad spent hours on the phone trying to resolve some ridiculously ineffective international customer service, while I spent time trying to talk to a rude French DELL employee. The final difficulties of this week all had to do with the University. The best way to describe it is this: They give you very vague information, turn you loose, then say, "Time to sink or swim!". I know, this is a little (a lot) pessimistic, but this is how it's felt. We are constantly receiving conflicting information or last second details that we have to run around town for to try to complete. Filling out paperwork has been the most tedious process. If you plan to study abroad in France, or probably anywhere in Europe: Bring tons of ID photos (Walgreens does them) and TONS of copies of every document you have ever received from the University as well as Passports and Insurance information.


Believe me, trying to find out where to make copies and take photos was not the easiest process. Now, moving onto classes, Wednesday we were told we had to look up our own classes on very confusing websites. Oh, and on top of that? Classes start Monday. That was it, very little direction, so I spent the majority of the week tracking down various Professors, Directors and Secretaries, and STILL have to finalize my classes for Monday. I have definitely learned this week that the University here is a COMPLETELY different system than in the States, and even the French students are lost! I met some girls that are staying the whole year at Montpellier, and their advice was this: It stays this way, everyone is unorganized, so it's important to learn how to work the system even though it is always very stressful. This is a perfect way to lead into the highs of this week: the people.

Elodie, Me, and Jade at our first French bar!
As I said, there have been many, many stressful things to figure out this week, but the one good thing to come from it is this: I have already developed some absolutely incredible friends here, and I am at home when I am with them. My friend Elodie, a french student, I have officially nicknamed "My Hero" which is a completely accurate name for her. She has been nothing but wonderful. She has spent nearly every day with me, Janna, Jade and now our new friend Patty. With her help, she has taken us to every person we need to speak to for every issue, big or small. When I was dealing with my computer issues, Elodie got on the phone with the rude French DELL woman and set her straight. She has showed us around, clarified things, and made sure we never felt alone. This paragraph alone cannot express how very thankful I am to have her in my life. I tried to thank her last night by doing something little, like buying her a crepe or dinner, but she absolutely refused me. She told me that everything she had done for us did not cost her a thing, and that she had enjoyed getting to know each of us. However, I have not given up on trying to repay her!

In addition to Elodie, she has also introduced us to Camille and Adam who we have been with a lot as well.  We all feel that being around each of them really gives us a great opportunity to practice our French and to make mistakes without worry. In turn, they also are able to practice English and learn some of our slang as well! I have also been lucky enough to spend time with Jade and Janna, who have also become quick friends. We are experiencing something completely new and scary together, and it has been a form of support for all of us, I think. When I was FINALLY able to get my computer fixed, the repairman came on a day that I had an orientation class from 9-5. Jade and Janna sat in my room ALL day to wait for him to come for only a 45 minute repair. Janna told me it was no big deal and that they watched movies together, but their help truly means the world to me. In a way, they helped connect me back to the home and people I miss, even if it is only emails, facebook, and skype. The fact is, without those little things, I felt utterly disconnected. Recently, we also befriended Patty, who I can tell is going to be a great friend as well. She is from San Francisco, but goes to school in Seattle and is an Alphi Phi! She is really fun to be around, and while she was having a rough week (her luggage just got here) we tried to do what Elodie had done for us. I know, already,  that these friendships I have made will truly last a lifetime (as cheesy as it sounds). I also have to make a quick note that Elodie LOVES the fact that Jade, Patty and I are in sororities (KKG, Alpha Phi, and XO), and she spent all of last night asking questions about recruitment and if we were  like the show Greek. We quickly set her straight, and decided we will have a faux sorority during our time here, which Patty quickly named: Alpha Kappa Chi :)

In addition to the friends I have made, I have to set everyone back in the States straight. Except for the rude French DELL woman, I am not exaggerating when I say that every single person I have met here has been incredibly nice and helpful. From the man at the bakery, to the man who helped us make copies, or my professor who sat with me and talked about my concerns. Nearly every person I pass on the street says, "Bonjour!", and if we are eating in the dorm lobby, anyone who walks in says "Bon Appetit!". I have met no one that lives up to the stupid French stereotype of being snobbish or cold, and I have nothing but nice things to say about each person I have interacted with here. I will say, though, that they tend to be blunt and incredibly honest, which they like to note that Americans have a difficult time dealing with. Their impression of us seems to be that we are kind of emotionally weak when it comes to talking to people. The more I think about it, the more I agree. We constantly sugarcoat things, and the fact that they don't do that here does not make them "mean" or "rude", it is just their nature to be honest. They are not easily offended, either, because a lot of social interaction between friends includes teasing, and they ALWAYS speak their minds. It is different, yes, but in a few short days I feel that I have adjusted to this difference greatly.

Also, in a few short days, I have already noticed improvements in my speaking. Yes, I still need to work on grammar (verb conjugations are pretty complicated) and vocabulary, but the biggest difficulty with speaking correctly is that people expect a response fast, so it is easy to get flustered and say something incorrect. I tested into the level B2/C1, meaning I am in between both of those levels, basically. For those of you who do not know the leveling system, here it is: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2. Essentially, A1 is where true beginners test, and C2 is where fluency is achieved. My results mean that I am really close to being fluent! It's funny, because looking back, my high school teachers and college professors kept saying that once I got to study abroad for 6 months, I would probably be fluent. I didn't truly believe it at the time, maybe it was lack of confidence in my ability, but now I can see how it would be possible.

Every single second of every single day I am constantly learning and practicing. Sometimes, I catch myself thinking in French. Other times, I accidentally switch into French while speaking English without meaning to! I take these all as signs that I am learning and improving-- and it started only after a few days of full immersion! Also, excuse me while I brag for a moment, but I am pretty excited about this. In my Pre-session we were being tested for placement, and we wrote a short essay to help determine our level. Before receiving our grades on the first essays we wrote, our professors gave the disclaimer that you only need a 10/20 in France to pass an exam. Students here are happy with a 12/20 typically. She also said 20/20 is for God only, even though they are not religious at all. 19/20 is reserved for the professors, and students can receive 18/20 and under. Well, I was shocked to find that even with errors in my writing, I received an 18/20! I am not happy with my level of writing, but this was definitely a boost in my confidence. In all, I feel like I am getting more comfortable each day. I know that there are many more lows to experience, but at the same time, many more highs! Sunday I head to Avignon for the day, and I know my next post will have many pictures! I hope you enjoyed the post, even if it was REALLY long, but there is just so much to say and even this doesn't do my experience justice!

More things I've noticed:
  • It's perfectly acceptable to bring a dog, small or large, into a shopping mall. 
  • Similarly, it is okay to keep your dog off  of a leash-- even in the street.
  • American music is MORE popular than French music here: Katy Perry, Beyonce, Shakira, Usher, and Taio Cruz to name a few.
  • Clothes are expensive in the mall, but if you go to the stores further away from the center of the city, you can find some awesome deals. Today I found some good boots for 15 Euros.
  • Bars are really laid back, it's not a dressy occasion like in the US. Instead, it seems like the nightclubs or the "Discotheques" are the places to get really dressed up for!
  • Baguettes, butter, and orange juice: a delicious, and cheap, breakfast.
  • France is not religious at all, but they still love taking days off for relgious holidays such as Christmas and Easter.
  • The French receive, at MINIMUM 5 weeks of paid vacation a year, NOT including national holidays!
  • Netflix is not available in France. This was a HUGE disappointment, it would have been handy to have when I needed a break from hearing French!
  • Credit Cards have electronic chips here. Automated machines, like for train tickets, will only accept these credit cards. Quite the headache.
  • If I begin a conversation by trying to speak in French, and then ask to switch to English later, I have found people tend to appreciate the attempt at speaking their native language.
  • French DVDs will not work with my Dell. Only Sonys and Macs can play international DVDs
  • The wind is definitely stronger and more prevalent here than in Chicago. 
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory dubbed in French is still just as creepy. But, some of their translations are pretty hilarious.
  • I can't watch Grey's Anatomy on ABC.com :( They know that I am out of the US and won't allow me because France is paying for the season before, at the moment.
  • Even with the extra charges, it has been a great safety net to have my American Blackberry here. Though, at the end of the month I don't think my parents will agree ;-)
  • I have found the French version of Patrick Dempsey, and his name is Thomas Dutronc. He is French, a singer, plays guitar and I love his music!The first song of his that I heard is called "Demain" which means tomorrow. It basically is a song about procrastination and that it is more important to have fun tonight, because tomorrow will be too late! Check him out :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-Qa3Gi5eo

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy this ended on a good note for you! Finding people always makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love following your adventure on your blog Sarah! I miss you tons and hope you continue to have an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete